Monday, December 22, 2008

Owh..is that how you do it?

Among the first things you do when you started learning any kind of machines is to learn the parts & how to handle them..So, last weekend I had a chance to spend some good hours learning & actually doing some sewing at Penang Epal Center. Turns out they make a pretty good business with many women ranging from homemaker to professionals coming down to enjoy sewing together. It's a good place to widen your social networks too.. ;)

I learned:
1. Basic machine parts & the things it needs: machine needles( single & twin), threads, types of fabrics, bobbin, bobbin case, pedals, pattern knobs etc.

2. Learn how to's:
- How to insert needle into the needle holder( for single & twin needles)
- How to do threading ( I mean actual physical threading..I'm starting to remember multi-threading from work which is a totally different beast..)
- How to fill-up bobbin thread & insert it into bobbin case
- How to insert & change the presser foot
- How to use pattern switch, stretch & width knobs

3. Sewing techniques:
- How to sew straight line using the presser foot as guide
- How to sew cubicle line
- How to sew circular line
- How to control machine & fabric movement
- How to make those pretty fashionable patterns that you would see on baju kurung, blouse & pants


Feels so good that I got this moving...but I still need to work on my sewing techniques & machine control..Next, I need to decide which project I am going take on. Dec projects are so cool..it's wall hanging calendar & another one is tumbler & food container cover..may be I'll pass the Dec project & focus on basic sewing first. Looking forward to more sewing tonight!

5 comments:

love said...

Aneem....sound interesting...would love to try since last yr..but asyik x mase je....will be peeking ur blog a lot... :)

aneem said...

sape ni ek?..but, thanks a bunch for peeking at this blog! :) Yeah, actually I had to juggle times between work, wife & sewing too..but, it's just so much fun that i simply cant put into words..do come by ya..!! ;)

Diah Rothman said...

I love your courage and hope your commitment towards this will stretch endlessly. Once you start with your first project it continues without fullstop. Go girl go.........

ADR'S CnG

Jurra said...

Hello Aneem!
I wanted to contact you but i forgot! *very forgetful me! sorry 'bout dat!

I didn't know you bought the machine early dec, until Emmah smsed me.

Well, I'm glad that you have fun playing around with it. Hey, your twin-needle embroidery is great! Very nice combination. So, next time, I guess I will love to see your upcoming project.

Any Epal project in hand now?
I just finished my patchwork bag (NOV project). My next target is to do DEC ones. Hope I have the time to do it..:)

OK Aneem.. best of luck with your new toy! Kirim salam juga kat "Awang" ye.. hehehe..

aneem said...

Thanks, Jurra! Yes, my upcoming project is in January..I'm soOOoo excited to start working on it this weekend.. Awang is excited too..ehehe:D